Re: NCIIA Experience McCann,John 09 May 2006 08:50 EST

While I was working at The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington, we worked quite closely with NCIIA.  NCIIA's purpose is to support innovation and invention among college students, to encourage curriculum leading to student inventions, and to assist students in marketing viable products.  NCIIA was/is funded by the Lemelson Foundation, founded by a very successful inventor who also left a great deal of money to the Smithsonian.

NCIIA is a valuable organization and completely legitimate.  NCIIA funds some of its activities through membership fees charged to member colleges.  In order to receive NCIAA grants, colleges must belong to the organization.

John McCann, M.P.A., Ph.D.
Director Grants Development
St. Petersburg College
St. Petersburg, Florida
________________________________

From: Research Administration List on behalf of Deborah Hofer
Sent: Mon 5/8/2006 8:37 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] NCIIA Experience

Good Monday morning.

Have any of you worked with the National Collegiate Inventors &
Innovators Alliance (NCIIA)?

I am dealing with a rather strange situation in that a private entity
(I believe non-profit but do not know for sure) is developing an
invention and submitted a grant proposal to NCIIA under the auspices of
our institution, i.e., the entity listed me as administrative contact
and themselves as the applicant. However, they neglected to provide a
proposal, budget, etc. to us for review.

Add to that, this entity paid membership fees to NCIIA on our behalf
because membership is required in order to apply for funding.

Well-intentioned over-enthusiasm or fishy?

Deborah d'Este Hofer MM
Grants Administrator
Southern Oregon University
541.552.8662
fax 541.552.6115
xxxxxx@sou.edu

"Only those who respect others can be of real use to them."
Albert Schweitzer