Re: NSF Regional Grants Conference Barbara Gray 04 May 2006 12:33 EST

Jackie,
NSF staff cover their own expenses for these conferences (alhtough they
will accept group meals that are part of the conference agenda).  When
we hosted an NSF regional conference at my previous institution, we had
big expenses to cover--meeting rental space, materials, meals and
breaks, A/V--and so we set the registration fee to cover this (and even
charged our own faculty that rate to attend).  I negotiated a better
deal with the hotel for space rental and room rates for attendees by
guaranteeing a sizeable food and beverage purchase--including a really
nice reception that everyone thoroughly enjoyed.  (I'm of the opinion
that, no matter how good the program, if you scrimp on the food and
beverage, people aren't going to be happy.)  So that my institution did
not get stuck with any of the costs of hosting the conference, I had to
estimate the number of attendees conservatively--and thus calculate a
registration fee that pretty much guaranteed coverage of both fixed and
variable costs.  Of course, there is opportunity, if your estimate of
attendees is exceeded, to "make money" on the conference.  I suppose
each institution must determine if that is an important factor to them.
Although we had significantly more attendees than predicted and ended up
with revenue slightly exceeding expense, my institution's goal was just
to break even.  And everyone went home happy with the program and all
the amenities.
bg

Jackie Givens wrote:

> Folks . . . I am seeing what to me is a disturbing trend . . . there
> is a NSF Regional Grants Conference hosted by Univ. of Maryland on
> October 23- 24.  The registration fee is $375 . . . the Regional NSF
> conference held in Bolder, Colorado in March had a registration fee of
> $250.  Why are the registration fees so high . . ., particularly in
> Maryland . . . where there is no issue of travel for NSF program
> officers?  In January 2005 we attended an NIH regional conference in
> Atlanta where the registration fee was $25 for a two day conference,
> much more in line with what I have participated in the past.  I think
> the increased registration fees have a major impact on how many
> faculty can really attend.  This is not a slam against Univ of Md at
> all . . . I'm just wondering why this trend in increased registration
> fees for federal regional conferences?  I have no problem with
> covering costs  . . . but we sure are a ways off of the $25 to $50
> registration fee of yester-years which allowed many more folks to
> attend.  Jackie
>
> Jacqueline Givens
> Director, Office of Sponsored Programs
> Kennesaw State University