Re: Request for help finding data: # faculty in STEM disciplines from variety of institutions Randall Legeai 26 Apr 2006 22:52 EST

The most recent IPEDS data from NCES should be able to give you a
reasonable estimate using the Peer Analysis System:
http://nces.ed.gov/ipeds/.  You may need to log in to the
"institution level" which requires a password.  Call NCES to get it.

- Randy.

At 07:17 PM 4/26/2006, you wrote:
>Try the college profile books in the library. I know they list # of
>faculty and % with certain degrees--not sure about a departmental
>breakdown.
>           good luck, Elsa

>So far I'm stymied trying to find data, and I thought someone might
>have
>some hints. I'm looking for the number of full-time tenured and
>tenure-track faculty at 30-40 institutions in science, technology,
>engineering and math (STEM) disciplines. I expected to find some
>survey
>data with dept. faculty numbers, and then pick the STEM departments
>for
>each institution. But no luck!  It appears that I can get Ohio
>institution data through the Ohio Board of Regents HEI data, but for
>consistency and breadth would much prefer one source for data from
>around the country. Any tips greatly appreciated!
>

>Datasets that do NOT do it:
>
>*         Delaware study (individual institution name is masked).
>
>*         AAUP does the salary surveys, but don't appear to have #
>faculty per discipline per institution.
>
>*         NSF statistics - lacks # faculty by dept.
>
>*         IPEDS has lots of data, but not by discipline or department.
>
>*         NCES looked promising, as did the National Study of
>Postsecondary Faculty (NSOPF), but neither have faculty numbers per
>dept.
>

>If I missed something, don't be shy about pointing it out.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Rick
>

>Rick Francis
>
>Director, Research Information Systems
>
>The University of Toledo
>
>419-530-6193

Randall Legeai
Assoc. Director, Institutional Program Development
Office of Government Affairs
Tulane University
504-228-5891
http://www.tulane.edu/~govtaff/contacts/rlhome.shtml