Re: Student research and IRB Bill Campbell 26 Apr 2006 16:06 EST

David and RESADMers--

At UW-River Falls, we require all student protocols to be approved by
the faculty adviser.  And we expect the adviser to monitor quality; the
board consciously tries to avoid judging anything but protection of
human subjects.  However, we will frequently make suggestions on how to
make the research better.

Exception: if the study is so poorly conceived or designed that it could
not possibly yield significant results that will benefit someone, we
reject it, even if it poses no danger to subjects.  Our rationale is, if
it's worthless it's not worth the time subjects would invest.

Regards, Bill

Bill Campbell
Director, Grants & Research
University of Wisconsin-River Falls