Re: NIH R21 CFDA # or Funding opportunity # Hunter, Steve :LPH SUP-LRS 26 Apr 2006 15:20 EST

Bob,
Yes, it is a bit frustrating to locate the PA in Grants.gov (or using the
NIH Guide on nih.gov) if you just use the key word 'R21'.  I had to find it
using 'Parent R21', and even then it displayed more than one listing.
However, PA-06-181 is for 'investigator-initiated' R21s for the NIH
Institutes that participate in the program and are listed at the beginning
of the PA.  There will be many other PAs that use the R21 funding mechanism
but are geared to specific subjects and/or timeframes.

There is also a 'Parent' R03, which is PA-06-180.  NIH will post a generic,
parent R01 closer to electronic submission of R01s in February '07.

Hope this helps.
Regards to all,
Steve Hunter
Legacy Research
Portland, OR

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG]On Behalf
Of Robert Beattie
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 12:54 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] NIH R21 CFDA # or Funding opportunity #

Maybe someone with a better understanding, than I have, of how NIH
announcements work  can help me understand the difference between the
various R21 announcements.

This is the program with the link below, that Steve points to --
"Parent R21"
PA-06-181: NIH Exploratory/Developmental Research Grant Program
(Parent R21)

Yet if one does a Keyword Search in Grants.gov, using R21, a very
long list shows up.  One item on the list
for example is -
PA-06-150: Pilot and Feasibility Program in Hematologic Diseases (R21)

There are many others.  Are these specific programs not the "NIH
investigator-initiated R21" that Pam was asking about?

I thought we might be able to download "the" R21 (and "the" R03 and
R33) form to our server and enter the standard institution data.
Then people would download the file from our site.  There are,
however, so many different programs I do no know how we can do that.

Thanks for the group help.

Bob
xxxxxx@umich.edu

On Apr 26, 2006, at 3:36 PM, Smiley, Rick wrote:

http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-06-181.html

Rick Smiley
Grant & Contract Officer