Re: Question for Foundation Directory Subscribers Ware, Jeanne 26 Apr 2006 10:30 EST

I certainly like what you said here Dawn.  While I'm in Charlie's camp
(success is pretty dismal), I know that faculty can be more successful
(particularly for our institution at does more community outreach and
programmatic stuff than pure research) if they just put some time and
"polish" to what they are doing.

Many times it is a sales technique that they need to employ and when you
are use to writing more scientifically, it is not an easy task.

I too get into all sorts of squabbles with our foundation for the same
kinds of things.  For instance, we wanted some community programming
money to do a summer camp and so I went and did the "dog and pony" show
for the faculty member.  We got the funds, but not without huffing and
puffing from the foundation that they had BIGGER plans... what the plan
or plans are is yet to be determined or disclosed.

Nonetheless, I would not pay for the Foundation Directory as a sponsored
research office -- that should be something the development office
should invest in.... my 2 cents.

Jeanne

http://www.ncf.edu/orps/
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you
please." -- Mark Twain
"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their
common sense." -- Gertrude Stein