Re: Effort Reporting Michael DeShazo 13 Apr 2006 18:28 EST

Ms. Gray,
Based on A-21, a payroll system has to reasonably (loaded word) reflect
the pay received by the individual.  That reasonable reflection is based
on his/her institutional base salary (IBS). IBS is the annual
compensation paid by the university/college for an employee's
appointment, whether that individual's time is spent on research,
instruction, administration, service or clinical activity. IBS excludes
any income that an individual is permitted to earn outside of duties for
the university/college.

Your question sounds like:
1) they are being paid by a federal source;
2) they are committing some level of effort to the project (may be
measurable, may be deminimus);
3) the effort being committed is consistent with their appointment at
the institution;
4) the effort has a degree of frequency

Based on my understanding, and regardless if they are receiving pay, the
subject of effort reporting is just that - effort.

If they are committing measurable effort to the project then it should
be documented accordingly.

Regards,
Michael DeShazo, CRA
Budget/Fiscal Analyst Lead
Financial Compliance and Outreach, Grant and Contract Accounting
University of Washington, Box 351122

Team Email: xxxxxx@u.washington.edu

PH: (206) 616-6718
FX: (206) 543-0764