Re: Relevance Susan Dolle 11 Apr 2006 13:48 EST

Actually, I think it's nice to see the more thoughtful side of Spanky. Relevance is something higher ed (perhaps all ed) in general could stand to consider. Some faculty seem to think they exist to bring students to a higher level of thinking--perhaps so, but if what those students learn is not relevant, our highly educated students are eating (and working) at Micky D's. Research Admin is in a challenging position at the center of faculty, university administration, agency, and government regulations. Won't faculty be more willing to work with us, rather than against, if we provide something they need/value? Just how far research administration can go in relevance will probably vary with institutional attitude, but Spanky opens the scene for some more "qualitative" thinking about how research administrators function. Now we need to define "relevance" or are there "levels of relevance." And how are research administrators tangibly providing it? Is it the framing of what we do that makes a difference in how we are perceived? Are there low hanging fruit we could all pick to our advantage? Is there room in what we do to do this at all? There's already a fair amount of collaboration (sharing information, ideas) on the listserv. How can we become better research administrators? Or is it truly not worth the effort?

What can I say? I help faculty WRITE proposals--one of those areas of relevance, perhaps, of which, if I recall correctly, Spanky is skeptical. Exact wording, I believe, was "we are not in the salvage business, we do not raise the dead." I remain an eternal optimist, and some of the dead are indeed beginning to walk!

>>> xxxxxx@UALR.EDU 4/11/2006 1:52 PM >>>
Are we having a cranky day?

Spanky