Re: IRB approvals for adjunct faculty Jon Hart 11 Apr 2006 13:00 EST

I would add that the biggest problem I have seen with individual
investigators' research is lack of staff to provide adequate recordkeeping.
You may want to look into what kind of support they have.

Jon Hart, M.P.A., C.I.P.
Senior Director
Office of Sponsored Programs Administration
Human Subjects Protections Program
The Rockefeller University
email:  xxxxxx@mail.rockefeller.edu
Tel:  (212) 327-8054; fax:  (212) 327-8400

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On Behalf Of
Robert Bienkowski
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 1:48 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] IRB approvals for adjunct faculty

If the voluntary faculty members are conducting industry-sponsored trials
(eg, drug or device studies) then the IRB can bill the sponsor (and they
will pay!). If the docs are conducting original research, then that's great
and I would suggest you not charge them because it increases the academic
standing of your adjunct faculty.

Either way, the IRB will have to actually check out the doctors' offices to
make sure that they adequate facilities for resuscitation, storing research
data, respecting participants' privacy, etc. Also, their staffs will have to
have appropriate training in conduct of research, applicable regs, and human
research protections.

Bob

--
Robert S Bienkowski, PhD