Re: Mac Bootcamp - answer to Grants.gov Mac issue? Kuba, Larry S. 05 Apr 2006 11:50 EST

My understanding is this 'solution' will not be available until the release of OSX 10.5 (Leopard). Just yesterday Apple released OSX 10.4.6 so it looks like it could be some time in the future... If fact, the Mac version of PureEdge could be released by that time.

While this sounds like a good solution, it will be costly. Users will be required to purchase the new Intel Mac plus the XP-OS. If they are doing this only as a solution to run PureEdge, it would be far cheaper to buy a low end PC.

L. Kuba

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG]On Behalf
Of Michael Kusiak
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 12:09 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Mac Bootcamp - answer to Grants.gov Mac issue?

The Wall Street Journal wrote about the dual OS issue in its special
Technology Journal section on Monday in an article titled "Apple has
its best chance in years to make a dent in the business market" by
Nick Wingfield.

"Apple enthusiasts have come up with software that allows Windows XP
to run on Intel-based Macs, posting the code free online at OnMac.net."

Same issue exists that Charlie mentioned,  you must have a newer,
Intel-based Mac.   I would be interested to know if anyone uses this
approach as a route to the "happy path" of NIH/grants.gov submissions
for Mac users.

Mike

On Apr 5, 2006, at 8:25 AM, Charlie Hathaway wrote:

> Intel-based Macs only...but certainly better than Citrix
>

> At 10:26 AM 4/5/2006, you wrote:
>> Just received word that Apple will include technology in the next
>> major release of Mac OS X, Leopard, that lets you install and run
>> the Windows XP operating system on your Mac. Called Boot Camp (for
>> now), you can download a public beta today.
>>
>> Boot Camp lets you install Windows XP without moving your Mac data.
>>
>> For more, see http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
>>
>> Is this the answer we've been seeking for Mac users???????
>> Terri
>>

>> Te

>> Associate Director of Pre-Award
>> Office of Research * University of Notre Dame
>> 511 Main Building * Notre Dame, Indiana 46556
>> Phn: (574) 631-7378 *  Fax: (574) 631-6630
>> http://www.nd.edu/~research/
>> ~ an FDP institution ~

>> "Listserv Lists")
> "Listserv Lists")

Michael Kusiak
Contracts and Grants Analyst
Helen Wills Neuroscience Institute
University of California
132 Barker Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-3190

Phone: 510.643.6383
Fax: 510.2952882
Email: xxxxxx@berkeley.edu

##  This transmission may be confidential or protected from disclosure and
is only for review and use by the intended recipient. Access by anyone else
is unauthorized. Any unauthorized reader is hereby notified that any
review, use, dissemination, disclosure or copying of this information, or
any act or omission taken in reliance on

unlawful. If you received this transmission in error, please notify the
sender immediately.  Thank you.   #########################################