Re: NIH eRA rumors Anna Dore 04 Apr 2006 08:13 EST

I also attended the NIH regional seminar and gathered that the
verification step will be eliminated and replaced with an institutional
assurance that the PI has signed off on the application.  It's also my
understanding that the AOR/SO, not the PI, can reject the application
within two days.  As Liz said, watch for the NIH Guide!

Here's an announcement from COGR regarding the institutional assurance:

From: COGR [mailto:xxxxxx@usc.edu]
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 12:45 PM
To: xxxxxx@usc.edu
Subject: COGR: NIH To Eliminate PI Signature Requirement

We have learned that NIH will announce a change in the Grants.gov/ NIH
Commons submission process in the NIH Guide this week (April 7).  The
need to provide a PI (or PIs) signature on applications and formal
correspondence will be eliminated.  The institution will be required to
maintain and present upon request a written certification or assurance
with a unique signature and date from the PI that supports the
submission of the specific application.  As we understand the change,
the certification or assurance must meet the requirements that the
investigators' signature currently met: 1) that the information
submitted within the application is true, complete and accurate to the
best of the PI's knowledge; 2) that any false, fictitious, or fraudulent
statements or claims may subject the PI to criminal, civil, or
administrative penalties; and 3) that the PI agrees to accept
responsibility for the scientific conduct of the project and to provide
the required progress reports if a grant is awarded as a result of the
application.

The NIH Guide is formally published on Fridays with items added to the
Guide throughout the week.  The Guide is available on NIH's web site at:
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/WeeklyIndex.cfm

Carol Blum
Director
Research Compliance & Administration