reviewers/approvers on proposals Carol Hert 27 Mar 2006 16:06 EST

we (University of Washington, Tacoma campus)  just went though a thought
exercise of reminding ourselves why we reviewed and who was the best person
to judge certain aspects. Anyone might talk to the PI about the proposal's
quality but unless there were institutional issues it would go through.
And, of course, we try to keep PI's aware of the support services offered so
that submission can go smoothly and that a good proposal goes out.  We do a
very thorough budgetary review to assure that all university policies are
followed.

Here's our current list of what is getting reviewed and by whom at our
institution

Program Director or Supervisor of PI (reviews for intellectual merit,
ethics, conflict of interest, time/space/resource utilization within the
unit)

Note: If multiple PI's and/or staff committed within an academic unit, all
relevant program directors or supervisors must approve.

Additional reviewers may be assigned (by the regular reviewers) at this
point if resources/staff from other units are discussed in proposal. (e.g.,
non-unit space, library, computing)

Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration  (budgetary implications,
such as compliance with UWT and UW budgetary and finance policies,
cost-sharing, ongoing $$ commitments after project)

Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs (intellectual/institutional merit,
ethical, conflict of interest and other issues)

Chancellor of UWT (general awareness,  oversight)

UW Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) (liability for UW as a whole, conflict
of interest, human and animal subjects approvals, appropriate UW and Federal
policies adhered to, approves as the authorized institutional representative
for the University of Washington.)

Carol A. Hert, Ph.D.
Research Consultant
University of Washington, Tacoma