Re: Recommendations for Grant Funding & Writing text book? Bill Campbell 23 Mar 2006 17:25 EST

Jennifer and RESADMers--

I teach the occasional proposal-writing class and used to use Mary
Hall's book.  It's pretty good, but (as your colleague said) focuses
more on non-profits than education.  Besides, it was first written in
the 80's, though it's been revised several times.

Last time I taught the course I discovered "The Only Grant-Writing Book
You'll Ever Need,"  Ellen Harsh and Arlen Sue Fox, Carroll & Graf, 2003,
ISBN 0-7867-1175-2.  The title is accurate. If readers internalize the
contents, they know all they need to know about writing compelling
proposals. I found it very complete; my students found it downright
interesting--how often does that happen?

However, like Hall's book, it's quite generic.  Your colleague might
wish to supplement it with something focused directly on social justice
education, though I have no idea what that might be.

Regards, Bill

Bill Campbell
Director, Grants & Research
University of Wisconsin-River Falls