Re: Sales Tax Question Kris Rhodes 22 Mar 2006 15:54 EST

I would think moving to reimburse tax on entertainment expenses would be
such a burden that it was not worth the cost of changing the policy.  Or
is the move to reimburse entertainment expenses and the associated tax?

As entertainment is unallowable on Federal grants I assume your
questions relates most directly to your F&A rate development, all
reimbursements for entertainment and the associated taxes are considered
unallowable and would be excluded for rate development purposes.  If
your question relates to charging just the tax directly to a federal
grant, this also would be unallowable.

Kris Rhodes MS, CRA
Director, Grants Administration
Wake Forest University Health Sciences Center
Phone:  336-716-3019

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Akhande Khan
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:55 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Sales Tax Question

Hi all,
Our institution is in the process of drafting a new policy that will
allow reimbursement of sales tax paid by employees for entertainment
expenses such as  restaurants. We are in Ohio and State allows such
reimbursements.
I am concerned about federal grants. Can we reimburse tax on
entertainment expense in federal grants? We are public and tax exempt.
Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Akhande Khan
Director of Grants Accounting
Youngstown State University