Re: grants.gov AOR and faculty Charlie Hathaway 17 Mar 2006 11:56 EST

Cmon Bob.  Anyone designated as an official approver has been given that authority by someone higher in the administration.  I'm sure the agencies know that.  And since AOR (i.e. Gg submitter) is not the same as SO ( NIH verifier), no NIH application is going to go thru without someone above the faculty agreeing.

Doesn't all this come down to trust in the context of the realities within each institution?  Several years ago we all shared our different views on whether central admin should actually mail the application and how much of an application needs to be reviewed to grant submission approval.  Clearly, the potential existed in many institutions for faculty members to get face pages signed and then alter previously approved content prior to putting in the FedEx box.  If this really became a problem, and the institutions found themselves penalized often as a result of these post-approval changes, one would assume they would change their rules.   As you say, each school can determine its own business policy.  And when well-funded scholarly research is the primary goal, I think the distinction between liberty and license needs to be carefully examined.

CH