Re: Change in Business Practices To Accommodate Grants.gov Susan Burke 10 Mar 2006 10:28 EST

Well, I've been there (the small institution grants person), and Landy
is correct about how easy it is to integrate with faculty.  One can even
establish rapport with a number of faculty at a large institution (I
have one department that usually asks me how high? when I tell them to
jump), but one is more likely to run into the prima donnas and the
absolute rotters.  So, even at the risk of incurring Spanky's wrath,
I'll be first in line for Charlie's CD!
Susan

Johnson, Landy (Director of Grant Development) wrote:
> Here's where a small shop has its advantages.  I tell faculty that if
> they bring me into the loop on a grant application several weeks in
> advance, I'll rearrange my life as needed to stay as late as necessary
> the day their proposal is submitted.  (And then I'll leave really early
> the next day, which I can probably do because at our institution
> submissions come in spurts with a nice lull in between.)
>
> In my one year at this job, I've only had two occasions of faculty
> bringing me into a proposal process at the last minute, and both were
> sub-awards where they didn't realize that someone "official" from our
> college actually had to provide information to the primary institution.
> In both cases, the work needed at my end was minimal, and the folks at
> the primary institution were the ones stuck with the actual submission.
>
> It's not that people are necessarily wonderful about coming to me early
> in the process.  I make a practice of hanging out at faculty meetings
> and lectures and have even shown up in a class to hear a guest speaker.
> It's often at these sorts of occasions that a professor suddenly
> announces "I should probably be talking to you, because I'm in the
> process of writing a proposal for a grant."
>
> I know I'm going to have some crazy days at the office, but the ability
> to forecast those days and plan for them is something that makes this
> job a pleasure.  Those whose grant volume is higher probably don't have
> this luxury.  We receive about $3 million per year.
>
> Landy
>
> __________________________
> Landy C. Johnson, MPA, Ph.D.
> Director of Grant Development