Re: Records Retention Period for Subawardees Kristen Wolff 09 Mar 2006 16:08 EST

I have worked for two institutions now that saved their records for 7
years, using the 3-year rule as a minimum time only.  Usually they kept
the records on file for 3 years and then archived them elsewhere for the
remaining 4 before destroying them.  If you don't have much room for
archiving, though, this might not be a good solution for you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Barbara Gray
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 1:33 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Records Retention Period for Subawardees

I think this is a fairly simple question, but I can see both sides of
the coin.

We are a subcontractor on a federal grant made to a state agency.  The
federal grant and our subcontract are subject to A-110, which requires
that records be retained for three years after expiraton of the award.
Our subcontract does not run the same period as the state agency's
award; let's say it ends one year before the prime award ends and then,
unbeknownst to us, the state agency later gets a one-year extension.

If A-110 applies to our subcontract, are we within our rights to destroy

our records at three years--which would be a full two years before the
state agency can destroy theirs?  The state agency feels that they
should have all project records--including our subcontract
records--available to them for their three-year retention period, which
means we would have to retain our records for five years.   Is this
appropriate?  If so, who is generally responsible for informing the
subcontractor that the prime's expiration date has changed.  (They want
us to contact them for permission before destroying the records.)  If
this is not appropriate, can someone give me a citation that clearly
says that it is the three-year period applies to us as a subcontractor
and that is the only period during which they can reasonably demand
copies of the record?

Thanks.
Barbara

--