Re: Change in business practices to accommodate Grants.gov Tara Riemer Jones 03 Mar 2006 12:54 EST

I love your comment that "I'm afraid some faculty will get burned before they change their personal practices."

Even at a very small nonprofit where I do all of the proposal submissions myself, know what propoals are coming up quite accurately, and can generally track each PI down in person in less than 5 minutes if they are in town, it is incredibly hard to enforce deadlines of any type.  I had one PI watch as I pressed the submit button on an NSF FastLane submission less than 10 seconds before the deadline.  We were working non-stop for the previous hour getting content loaded and revised.  I don't think she will ever be that late again.

We have a large number of NOAA grants, and NOAA was an early-adopter of Grants.gov, so we've been doing G.g submissions for a year now.  There was one small competition where a technical problem in one of the forms kept us from submitting two proposals on time because the legal name of our organization had too many characters.  True to form, the G.g error message we received did not actually tell us what the problem was, but instead told us nothing was entered in the field.  We were denied the opportunity to enter the competition even though I actually emailed both complete proposals to the program office by the deadline so that they knew we had it done by the deadline, and I had contacted G.g telephone support before the deadline.  The problem is that the G.g help desk closed for the night one hour before the deadline.  And as you all know now, until you actually try to submit, you don't know what you errors will be.  Again, these two PIs will never again expect to get me content 2 hours before the deadline and have everything go smoothly.

(Just a note that one of the reasons they didn't accept the proposals was that G.g was not required for this competition -- we just thought it would be easier since we had not had problems with it before -- and they claimed we could still have mailed the proposal to meet the deadline.  In rural Seward, Alaska, the nearest post office open past 4:30pm is a 2 hour drive away, and I was not about to make a 4 hour roundtrip to Anchorage because of a G.g technical problem.  I made the mistaken assumption that if it was a technical problem on their end, we wouldn't be held responsible.  Live and learn...)

My response was to set stricter deadlines (basically that all proposals have to be submitted one day before the deadline) -- not because I think people will abide by them -- but rather to protect myself such that if I receive late content I don't feel responsible.

Tara Jones

************************
Tara Riemer Jones, Ph.D.
Grants and Contracts Manager
Alaska SeaLife Center
(800) 224-2525 ext. 6343
(907) 224-6343 direct
(907) 224-6320 fax
xxxxxx@alaskasealife.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List on behalf of Maryellen O'Brien
Sent: Fri 3/3/2006 8:16 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Change in business practices to accommodate Grants.gov

We've requested a lead time of 5 business days on applications for the
past two years in anticipation of electronic submissions, but we get
little to no compliance.  We also don't have any leverage with faculty,
because we must submit even at the last minute, which is most of the
time.  We have a small staff, so we depend on the departmental staff and
faculty to put the proposal together.  We review the budget and admin
pages and do the final submission.  That still takes considerable time
if you have multiple proposals or deadlines.  I'm afraid some faculty
will get burned before they change their personal practices.

As for collaborative arrangements, I think we're still going to ask for
hard copies of approved budgets, cover pages or letters from the
subgrantee.  It's our reassurance that the other grants office is in the
loop and makes it easier to issue the sub should the grant get funded.

We are also preparing more training and beefing up the resources on our
web site.  If any of you have good training materials or web material
that you're willing to share with us and let us use or edit, I think
we'd all be appreciative.  I've been perusing other univ. web sites and
I've seen some great resources out there.  It takes a lot of time to
create these documents and I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if it's
been done elsewhere.  I'm happy to give credit on our website or in our
sessions.

Maryellen O'Brien
Assistant Director
Grant and Contract Administration
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
Rutgers University
ASBIII, 3 Rutgers Plaza

New Brunswick, NJ  08901

Ph:   732-932-0150, Ext. 2111