Re: A clue to our NIH eRA Commons error message problem Elizabeth C. Lieberman 02 Mar 2006 13:38 EST

Research Administration Discussion List <xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG> on Thursday,
March 02, 2006 at 12:08 PM -0500 wrote:
>For all of the grant applications not accepted thus far, the indirect
>cost base does not equal the total direct costs. We have a MTDC base and
>we did not include tuition or equipment in our IDC calculation.
>
>Has anyone out there had an AREA grant application submitted with a
>different indirect cost base and total direct cost?

None of our applications (4 total, all accepted) had indirect cost base
equal to total direct costs.  Our key to success appeared to be making the
indirect cost base be a whole number which, when multiplied by the
indirect cost rate, gave a whole number.  For us, since our rate is 73.0%
(we have a salaries and wages base), this meant making the total of our
salaries and wages be an even number of hundreds.  For rate like 73.1%, I
would have made the base be an even number of thousands.

Based on the later comments I've seen on this list, I wonder if what I
thought was my solution wasn't it at all -- just dumb luck or good karma.
Liz
Liz Lieberman
Director, Office of Sponsored Research
Assistant Dean of the College
Wellesley College
106 Central Street
Wellesley, MA 02481-8203
Phone: (781) 283-3587;  Fax: (781) 283-3695
E-mail: xxxxxx@wellesley.edu