Re: Allocation of rent to "off-site" projects Peter Koch 02 Mar 2006 11:30 EST

Thanks for all of the on- and off-line replies on this issue.  My
problem is not with figuring out how much the space costs, but with how
to allocate it to mutliple pojects using the same space.  And,
presumably, make some allocation to the portion of the space that is
supporting "unfunded" activity.

I had a number of responses that said they pay for the full amount of
the lease costs with "institutional" funds, then treat the space as "on
site."  That is the approach I had been leaning toward and it sounds
like there are a number of places doing exactly that.

Thanks again.

 -  Pete

>>> xxxxxx@VERIZON.NET 03/02/06 10:45 AM >>>
And for allocation, do it by square footage. Count 100% of space
occupied by each project, and divide common/service area total
proportionately and add that share to each project.

In case you need to separate a project between two different areas
(off- and on-campus, or between two off-campus areas with different
rental values), I recommend making the division based on S&W expended
in the various areas.  That's a reliable technique used by many.

And document as written policy whatever process you will use.  That
way, even if an auditor makes you change it (unlikely!), what you
have done was done in good faith.

Chuck

At 09:24 AM 3/2/2006, you wrote:
>Get a local realtor tell you how much office or whatever use space
>rents for in that neighborhood in a $/sq.ft.  That's the easiest and
>you have an outside quote.
>
>SPanky
>

>At 08:18 AM 3/2/2006, you wrote:
>>Can anyone share a tried-and-true allocation methodology for
determining
>>how much rent/lease cost to directly charge to an off-site project?
We
>>have had very few sponsored projects done "off-site" in the past,
but
>>now are faced with projects that will be performed in space we have
>>lease, rather than space we own. The challenge is how to reasonably
>>apportion the lease and associated occupancy costs directly to
>>projects.
>>

>>Thanks.
>>
>>   - Pete
>>

>>Peter C. Koch, MBA
>>Assistant Vice President
>>Sponsored Programs and Research Accounting
>>Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
>>3333 Burnet Avenue, TCHRF-3303, MLC 7030
>>Cincinnati, Ohio 45229-3039
>>
>>Phone: (513) 636-4583
>>Fax: (513) 636-1392
>>E-mail: xxxxxx@cchmc.org

available
>>  via our web site at http://www.hrinet.org (click on "Listserv
Lists")
>Lists")

Herbert "Chuck" Chermside, CRA
Director Emeritus, VCU Sponsored Programs
Executive Director, Research Administrators Certification Council
1915 Robindale Rd.
Richmond, VA 23235-3931
804-320-5502
xxxxxx@verizon.net