Re: Physical mechanics of submitting thru g.g Elizabeth C. Lieberman 24 Feb 2006 14:17 EST

Research Administration Discussion List <xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG> on Friday,
February 24, 2006 at 1:26 PM -0500 wrote:
>We have just submitted (attempting to submit) our first grant (AREA
>grant) thru grants.gov.  We have a very small office of research and
>sponsored programs. We submitted the grant using the PI’s computer, but
>this will not work for the long run.  How do other research offices
>handle the submissions?  Do you have the PI send files to someone in the
>research office and then do everything (submissions and corrections) thru
>the research office and their computers?  If so, how do you have the PI
>send files to the research office?

We just submitted four AREA proposals.  I'm a one-person operation, and I
had the PIs send the application file as an e-mail attachment, which I
then downloaded and opened in PureEdge.  I ended up making the final edits
and/or uploading the final files.  In my opinion, one of the really
serious flaws in the Grants.gov system as it stands is the single file
approach to the application -- either the "real" file is on the PI's
computer or on mine, and it's easy to lose track of which copy running
around campus is the "real" one.  (I guess we're all spoiled by the
web-based solution NSF came up with in Fastlane.)

I think larger institutions using PureEdge may have set up a system of
keeping a single copy of the application file on a central server, so that
the file can be accessed both by the PI and by the sponsored research
office.  Now that I've been through the process for the first time, I'd be
interested in hearing from institutions that have implemented something
like that.

Liz

Liz Lieberman
Director, Office of Sponsored Research
Assistant Dean of the College
Wellesley College
106 Central Street
Wellesley, MA 02481-8203
Phone: (781) 283-3587;  Fax: (781) 283-3695
E-mail: xxxxxx@wellesley.edu