Re: NIH AREA Grant Proposal Reynolds, Craig A. 23 Feb 2006 09:36 EST

Right.  My actual indirect base was $103,943, but I entered $103,942.50
so that my calculation of .40 x $103,942.50 equaled $41,577.00.

Craig

-----Original Message-----
From: Elizabeth C. Lieberman [mailto:xxxxxx@wellesley.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 9:35 AM
To: Research Administration Discussion List
Cc: Reynolds, Craig A.
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] NIH AREA Grant Proposal

Research Administration Discussion List <xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG> on
Thursday,
February 23, 2006 at 8:58 AM -0500 wrote:
>This solution worked.  The proposal passed the Commons validation
check.

Craig -- I assume that "this solution" was making the indirect cost base
be a number that would give a whole number when multiplied by the
percent.
 I have yet to try it but hope to do so today.

>Since the AREA guidelines direct us to enter the entire budget in Year
>1, I have been ignoring the warning that "Direct cost requests are
>limited to $150k a year for AREA grants. Applications that exceed this
>limit may be delayed in the peer review process or rejected."  Are
>others doing the same?

When we first saw that message, we assumed that every AREA submission
would get that -- I took it as a friendly reminder of the fact that AREA
awards are capped at $150,000.  It would be interesting to know why NIH
thought that would be an important warning to pass along to applicants.

Liz
Liz Lieberman
Director, Office of Sponsored Research
Assistant Dean of the College
Wellesley College
106 Central Street
Wellesley, MA 02481-8203
Phone: (781) 283-3587;  Fax: (781) 283-3695
E-mail: xxxxxx@wellesley.edu