Re: Do training grants qualify as a major project? Kathleen G. Hall 16 Feb 2006 06:03 EST

We got an interpretation from OPERA re this about a year and a half
ago...and they disagreed...

Even if the cost is listed as potentially allowable in the program
announcement, it is still the institution's responsibility and liability to
assure that the need for the expenditre meets all the allowable cost
requirements.  There is no blanket exemption/assumption re allowability for
training programs; no matter what is listed in the program announcement.
There is no presumption of a training program meeting the major projects
criteria.

You could grant an exception to a training award if it is large,
complicated, etc.  This assessment must be done on a case-by-case basis.
The fact that training awards have a lot of administrative work associated
with them is not sufficient, in itself.  Most training awards would "not"
meet the exception requirements.  To grant an exception to a training award
you would have to treat it the same as an R01 and truly make a case that
something extraordinary is going on.  A typical T with 5-6 trainees would
not normally reach the bar.  A larger training program, with maybe an
international component, multi-degree component, etc., (i.e., more
complications, not just traditional T), might meet the exception
requirements.