Re: Innovative Programs to Boost Proposal Activity Reynolds, Craig A. 15 Feb 2006 15:35 EST

Good questions, Diane.  The program that I have the best data on, and
the one most directly intended to increase external support, is our
President's Research Investment Fund (PRIF).  The most recent version of
the guidelines are online at http://www.orsp.cmich.edu/pdf/prif.pdf.
Some unique (I think) aspects of the program include different award
amounts depending on whether students are involved, a stepped release of
funding tied to the submission of a proposal (to keep the project going
until the funding arrives), a requirement to resubmit if not funded the
first time around, and mandatory attendance at our 3-day proposal
writing workshop.

The $25K award requires that recipients submit a multi-year grant of at
least $50K/year.  The smaller proposal writing award requires that
recipients submit a multi-year grant of at least $15K/year.  One driver
behind the smaller program was recognition that lots of faculty who
aren't bench scientists (1) don't need $100K or more to conduct their
research, (2) don't have as many large funding opportunities available
to them as in the sciences, and (3) as a consequence were perhaps not
getting their fair share of the pie.

Between Spring 2001 and Spring 2004 (the most recent internal
competition for which external proposals must have been submitted), CMU
has awarded $1,329,286 for 60 different projects.

In return, CMU has received $2,751,859 in grants and contracts that can
be directly attributed to PRIF support.  They all involve undergraduate
and graduate students and have generated ~$631,500 in F&A.

An additional $2,980,019 in external support has been awarded to CMU on
behalf of PRIF recipients subsequent to their receipt of a PRIF grant
for activities that are not directly related to the PRIF-supported work.
The total external support awarded to PRIF recipients since their
receipt of a PRIF grant is therefore $5,731,878.

Given this latter point, one might wonder whether PRIF recipients would
have been successful grant getters regardless.  I haven't quite yet
figured out how to answer that one.  It is worth noting, though, that
our deans and chairs use the PRIF program as a recruiting tool for new
faculty and a considerable number of PRIF grantees are in fact new
faculty.  So, some new hires actually arrive on campus with a $25K
internal grant in hand to get started - this in addition to whatever
startup package the dean may offer.  We also think (but can't prove)
that success stories with external grants and faculty modeling behaviors
we would like others to emulate are having positive impacts at the
departmental level.

Is it worth the investment?  Our President thinks so.  I am thankful for
this fact.

Craig