Re: Grants.gov, NIH, and FWA number Reynolds, Craig A. 15 Feb 2006 10:34 EST

Liz,

Don't enter "FWA", just enter the number sequence.

Craig

--
Craig Reynolds / Office of Research & Sponsored Programs /
Central Michigan University / Foust 251 / Mount Pleasant, MI 48859 /
T: 989.774.3859 / F: 989.774.3439 / E: xxxxxx@cmich.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Elizabeth C. Lieberman
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 9:52 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Grants.gov, NIH, and FWA number

I'm a grateful reader of RESADM-L, but I virtually never contribute.
Now
I have a problem I'm hoping some of you can help me solve.  I sent the
message below to OHRP, with a cc to the support addresses of both
Grants.gov and NIH and am waiting to get a response.  Do any of you
Grants.gov experienced folks have an answer for me?

My institution has an FWA number of FWA00000598 (11 characters).  I am
in
the process of preparing an NIH AREA application using Grants.gov, and
I've run into a problem.  When we try to enter the FWA number in the
Grants.gov form called "Research and Related Other Project Information",
we find that the place to enter that number can accommodate only10
characters, not the 11 in our number.  I don't know if this is a glitch
in
the Grants.gov form, but I'd appreciate your advice about how to enter
the
number in the application so we won't run into a problem at submission
(which is scheduled to happen within a week).

I don't want to run the risk of having the application be rejected when
it
goes to NIH for validation -- I have no idea if the FWA number gets
checked as part of that process.  Thanks for your help.

Liz
Liz Lieberman
Director, Office of Sponsored Research
Assistant Dean of the College
Wellesley College
106 Central Street
Wellesley, MA 02481-8203
Phone: (781) 283-3587;  Fax: (781) 283-3695
E-mail: xxxxxx@wellesley.edu