Re: Child Internet Protection Act Carol Forbes 10 Feb 2006 09:37 EST

 From our IT Director, who found this explanation

"The Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA) requires those libraries
that receive federal funding via Library Services and Technology Act
(LSTA) grants for the purchase of computers or Internet access, or those
that receive special federal E-rates for Internet access, to maintain
filtering software to shield children from objectionable material on the
web. The provisions of the CIPA do not apply to college or university
libraries because those libraries are not eligible for either form of
federal assistance."

Janet Goucher wrote:

> Could someone provide some insight into how universities are complying
> with this act?  Are filters on all computers required or is limiting
> physical access enough?--
>
> Janet Goucher
> Assistant Director of Research
> Illinois State University