Re: Space Issues Chuck Chermside 31 Jan 2006 22:29 EST

Myra, in my experience, obtaining space for performing sponsored
programs is too complex for a simple form.  What you need to do is to
review with senior research executives what the options might be, and
have your own way to collect the information needed.

You need to consider what defines on- and off- campus in your F&A
rate; maybe you rent space, charge rent to the award, and charge the
off-campus F&A rate, but maybe you lease space and it then becomes
on-campus.  You have to consider the nature of the space needs of
various projects; some can be done in office space and some need wet
labs.  Usually, except for some simple office space, the institution
needs to consider acquiring a block of space and putting several
activities, from different disciplines, that can use that space into
it.  Often the institution will need to make a time and size
commitment beyond a single project, but if carefully thought out, can
still make it work.

And to make that latter work, it may pay to move some things now
on-campus to the new space.  If it becomes necessary to move the
existing projects off-campus, look at how the cost will affect
budgets.  Most sponsors will allow rebudgeting from on-campus to
off-campus F&A rate and using the difference (what's really the "F"
component) to direct costs or rent, if it dose not change the bottom line.

And remember, in your internal approval for all proposals, the
chair/dean sign off should include certification that there is space
for the project, so, at least if academic managers are honest, you
already perceive some of the needs and have some of the advocates for
solving the problem in a greater than piecemeal fashion.  So maybe a
first approach is a survey of all deans asking what additional
sponsored programs they might be able to do if there were new space
-- but remember, they will be optimistic, so you have to temper their
hopes with reality.

It is not simple, but it is doable.  Maybe you can ask colleagues to
phone you with their experiences solving the space problem, and get a
better idea of what pitfalls might face you and how do avoid
them.  For example, when I worked at one state institution in the
state capital, we needed to work with and get approval from the state
equivalent of GSA to lease space, but at a different institution in
the same state that was not in the capital, the institution did not
need that extra step of coordination.

Basically, your needs are so institution specific that someone else's
questionnaire is unlikely to work for you.

Chuck

At 03:16 PM 1/30/2006, you wrote:
>We have grown to the point where space for externally funded
>projects have become an issue, and we must address this as well as
>other infrastructure issues.  We ask the question about additional
>space requirements on the internal routing form, but we do not
>require additional information. I am looking to see if anyone has a
>form that PI's must complete defining their space issues and source
>of funding for renovations.  You can respond to me directly at my e-mail.

Herbert "Chuck" Chermside, CRA
Executive Director, Research Administrators Certification Council
PO BOX 72641, Towne Center Station
Richmond, VA 23235-8018
804-543-3002
xxxxxx@verizon.net