Grantsmanship.gov Charlie Hathaway 15 Dec 2005 13:01 EST

We recently presented some of the basic facts about Grants.gov and eRA to some senior faculty members.  There was one (2 part) question that, despite or because of its simplicity, had me stumped: What will reviewers see when they review the grants?

The answer involves both our confidence in the faithful reproduction of what was sent AND how most reviewers will view the proposal.  IF the average busy reviewer with 10-15 grants is not going to use his/her own paper to print out every page, and will review grants from a screen, how is the psychology of grantsmanship affected?

A related question concerns the evolution to electronic meetings of review groups.  Having just this morning sat thru the annual mock study section review of proposals for the grantwriting workshop in our clinical research M.S. program, I cannot imagine the freedom and fluidity of the give and take I observed occurring in a virtual setting.  How might this influence the way a grant applicant prepares an application?

Charlie