Re: Small Grants from Nongovernment Sources Jon Hart 29 Sep 2005 12:30 EST

It is true that it takes relatively more resources per dollar to manage
foundation grants vs. government awards, but this is a cost of business.  We
encourage our investigators to seek funding from any legal source.  I would
speculate that I wouldn't have a job for long if I tried to dissuade an
investigator from applying to any appropriate funding source.
Joni

Jon Hart, M.P.A., C.I.P.
Senior Director
Office of Sponsored Programs Administration
Human Subjects Protections Program
The Rockefeller University
email:  xxxxxx@mail.rockefeller.edu
Tel:  (212) 327-8054; fax:  (212) 327-8400

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On Behalf Of
Jessica T. Kleinberg
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:16 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Small Grants from Nongovernment Sources

Dear Resadm-ers,
We've been seeing an increase in the amount of small foundations and private
companies that our PIs are applying to for grant funding.  As federal
funding becomes tighter, and our researchers utilize new tools to become
more "cutting edge," this seems logical.  However, managing these smaller
grants and fee-for-service contracts can be extremely time consuming for the
Sponsored Programs Office and the PIs (negotiating contracts, invoicing,
low/no indirect, budget modifications, etc.).

We're looking for successful ways to manage these smaller arrangements to
minimize the drain on resources.  We've even wondered if other institutions
have taken steps to discourage investigators (directly or indirectly) from
applying for these types of projects.  Discouraging a PI from applying for
funding seems fundamentally contrary to our mission, but we're starting to
wonder if there could be a negative return on investment.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jessica Kleinberg, CRA
Asst. Director, Sponsored Programs
Health Research, Inc.