Re: off campus research centers Jennifer Shambrook 23 Sep 2005 08:55 EST

The wiggle room is intentional so that each institution can apply their own policies.  The main thing is to be consistent.  If you charge one grant for something, you have to apply that same type charge to the others.

I would suggest that YOU draw up a guideline you would like to apply to your unit, citing Exhibit C, and run it past your primary funding agency and whoever is throwing up the roadblock at your institution.  As long as you apply the guideline consistently to all grants AND it's within the broad parameters of what's allowable under Exhibit C, you should be okay as far as the feds are concerned.  Whether or not the bureaucrats at your institution will go along with it is another thing.  Some folks are insistant on erring way to one side on the side of the stricted interpretation.  Of course, they are concerned about auditors, not how you can actually get the scope of work done to include the allowable costs that would normally be treated as F&A.

To get past that hurdle, do what you can to soothe their shaky nerves about the auditors... by establishing a written guideline, quoting regs, and then adhering to it consistently.

Just a suggestion...
-Jennifer

>>> xxxxxx@VIRGINIA.EDU 09/23/05 09:10AM >>>
Thanks, it is Exhibit C to which I was referring when I asked about
interpretation of these guidelines.  The examples seem to leave a lot of
wriggle room.  Approximately 1/3 of our funding comes from a single federal
contract, but the rest of our funding comes from about 30 -40 different
contracts of varying sizes and from varying sources - both federal and
industry.  We do charge the off-campus F&A rate.  I was hoping another
institution had a similarly structured off-campus research center that has
faced this issue.

Linda

 _____

From: Youngers, Jane A [mailto:xxxxxx@uthscsa.edu]
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 5:26 PM
To: xxxxxx@virginia.edu
Subject: RE: [RESADM-L] off campus research centers

Linda,

Terri is correct.  But the other issue is one of allocability; if your
center has many awards, it would be very hard to allocate administrative
salaries among them all.  It's different if there were one or two.  So your
OSP may be bringing up allocation issues.  Just a thought.

Jane

Jane A. Youngers

Assistant Vice President for Research

Office of Sponsored Programs

The University of Texas Health Science Center

 at San Antonio

7703 Floyd Curl Drive

San Antonio TX  78229-3900

telephone 210.567.2333