Re: Lead Time for Your OSP? Vincelli, Diana 22 Sep 2005 13:43 EST

Hi Susan,
Yes, Our Grants Accounting Manager reviews/approves each budget and it
is then signed off by the Asst VP/Controller. They don't take 5 days
tho- I always get the budget back in a day or 2 at the most.  I often
ask PIs to give me the budget first so I can review it and then send it
for approvals.  Overall we try for 5 working days lead time, and warn
people of especially busy times that we'd like an extra day or two.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...

Diana Thompson Vincelli
Director of Grant Support
Office of Foundation, Corporate & Government Relations
G-14 Maryland Hall
University of Richmond, VA  23173
804.289.8005; fax 804.287.6491
xxxxxx@richmond.edu
http://oncampus.richmond.edu/academics/grants

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Susan Meslang
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 2:21 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Lead Time for Your OSP?

Our VP of Finance feels that the accounting dept needs to review every
proposal budget before it goes out.  They want 5 business days!  Of
course our office needs time to review and prepare the submission
package - the 5 days in accounting is killing us!   It is like pulling
teeth to get faculty to give us the proposal and budget in time for us
to review, make changes and suggestion s, and send to accounting.  Does
anyone else have to get proposal budgets approved by fiscal services?

"If we knew what it was we were doing, It would not be research would
it?"
Albert Einstein

Susan W. Meslang
Director of Grants and Sponsored  Programs
Tidewater Community College
500 East Main Street
Norfolk VA 23510
P.O. Box 9000
Norfolk VA 23509
Office 757 822-1773
Cell 757 409-2887
Fax 757 822-1007
xxxxxx@tcc.edu

>>> xxxxxx@UAF.EDU 09/22/05 1:48 PM >>>
Hello all,

This is just an informal poll to see how much lead time your sponsored

programs office requires to review a proposal. We ask for 5 business
days to allow for the proposal load, corrections, major problems, etc.

We also want the final draft, not rough drafts unless we had arranged
help review and edit those ahead of time. What does your OSP do?

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew M. Parkerson-Gray, CRA
Senior Pre-Award Administrator
UAF Office of Sponsored Programs
909 N. Koyukuk Drive / P.O. Box 757270
West Ridge Research Building, Suite 212F
Fairbanks, AK 99775-7270

Phone:  (907) 474-1851
Fax:    (907) 474-5444
E-mail: xxxxxx@uaf.edu