Re: The Grant Institute Starr, Sarah 15 Sep 2005 07:22 EST

They appeared on our campus the same way.  I'm still trying to find out how they got here; apparently they just rented space. They also implied that we were sponsoring them.  The only feedback I received about them from faculty was from a very dissatisfied PI who yelled at me for "sponsoring" them.  She felt it was a waste of her money.  When I tried to get them to send me evaluations from people who had taken it from Ohio State they sent me two different mailings but never did send me actual Ohio State people.  The least they could do is contact Research Administration offices on campuses as a courtesy. It would quite possibly help their business - this method just makes them seem underhanded.

Sarah E. Starr, Director
Office of Funding & Research Development
The Ohio State University Research Foundation
1960 Kenny Road  Room 321
Columbus, OH  43221

Phone: 614-688-5546
Fax: 614-292-5913

xxxxxx@osu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On Behalf Of Lawrence Waxler
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 4:46 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] The Grant Institute

Linda,

Interesting question.

The Grant Institute "appeared" on our campus. They contacted our
Conferences Division, reserved space on campus, and spammed the
University community advertising the event and implied that we were a
sponsor. My office (Sponsored Programs) received several calls
requesting information. Evidently this is their modus operandi. I talked
to representatives at several other institutions at the time which
experienced similar situations - none of them were particularly happy.
At the time, I did send out a note to the University community
indicating that we were not a sponsor, and that we could not vouch for
the legitimacy of the organization. We subsequently barred them from
using our campus facilities in the future and blocked their domain name
from access to our e-mail system.

All that said, there were two individuals who attended the session
here. They felt that it was a valuable experience.

Larry Waxler, Director
Office of Sponsored Programs
University of Southern Maine
P.O. Box 9300
Portland, ME  04104-9300
Telephone: 207-780-4413
Telefax: 207-780-4927

>>> xxxxxx@UMBC.EDU 09/14/05 3:54 PM >>>
Has anyone had any experience with the workshops given by The Grant
Institute.  I am thinking of taking GRANTS 101.  This organization
gives
workshops all over the country.  It is a 3-day workshop and costs $597.

Does anyone know anything about them?  LB

--
Linda Brown, Associate Director
Maryland Institute for Policy Analysis and Research