Re: Multiple PIs Herbert B. Chermside 03 Sep 2005 17:22 EST

Back in the old days -- this was even before my time, but related by
those who taught me -- there was a "Corresponding Principle
Investigator", the person serving as the principal contact and having
final say over direction of a sponsored project.  Others could then
be PI's without creating confusion regarding "real PI", "senior PI" etc.

Egalitarianism is great, but in some things there must be a desk with
a sign, "The buck stops here!"

Chuck

At 03:40 PM 9/3/2005, you wrote:
>You say that this will be a good thing vis-a-vis career advancement
>because we
>have always viewed "PI-dom" as a prestigious club.  Well, as more and more
>people become PIs, and everyone starts to wonder who is the "real PI"
>or "senior PI" etc on a multiple PI grant, the automatic prestige
>may lessen.
>Still, in the long run I think it forces everyone to place more importance on
>what gets done with/published from a grant being awarded than simply on the
>grant itself...and this is good.
>
>As for institutions...how is this going to affect rankings?  How will NIH
>assign $$ to a school when there are multiple PIs?
>
>Charlie
>

>Quoting "Young,Elaine M" <xxxxxx@MGM.UFL.EDU>:
>
> > I'm interested in hearing if/how implementation of the multiple PI
> > policy being implemented by the NIH on large, interdisciplinary grants
> > will affect other universities.
> >
> > Obviously this should be a good thing for faculty promotion and tenure.
> > Does anyone see it having any negative effects on either the university
> > or the individual?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > Elaine Young, PhD
> > Assistant Program Director for Research Development
> > College of Medicine, University of Florida
> > Room G1-004A
> > P.O. Box 100215
> > Gainesville, Florida 32610-0215
> > (352) 273-5088

Herbert "Chuck" Chermside, CRA
Director Emeritus, VCU Sponsored Programs
Executive Director, Research Administrators Certification Council
1915 Robindale Rd.
Richmond, VA 23235-3931
804-320-5502
xxxxxx@verizon.net