Re: RESEARCH VOLUNTEERS Laurie Chamness 31 Aug 2005 12:19 EST
MUSC's Human Resources policy on Volunteers is at
http://www.musc.edu/hrm/policies/policy33.html

The MUSC Volunteer Application form is attached as a MS Word file.

Laurie

Robert Miller wrote:

>There are occasions when visiting researchers and students are
>interested in volunteering and/or collaborating with other researchers
>on particular projects with no promise and/or expectation of receiving
>pay or any other type remuneration and this drives my HR department
>crazy.
>
>The objection that is being asserted from our HR is that because the
>"volunteer" is not being paid (money or something of value) we would
>be violating "labor law" thus, volunteers are not allowed.
>
>This seems to be contrary to the standing that the US Code of Federal
>Regulations (29 CFR 553.101).
>
>Can any of you offer how you handle "volunteers" within your
>entity/campus?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Robert Gregory Miller
>Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
>Div. of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Molecular Science
>Administrative Director/Research Administrator
>xxxxxx@cdrewu.edu
>Office: 323.563.5961
>Fax: 323.563.5966
>

>Notice of Confidentiality
>
>This message contains information that may be confidential or
>privileged.
>
>It is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee or any person
>entitled to receive it.  If you received this message in error,
>please inform the author as soon as possible, do not disclose its
>contents and delete it from your system

Laurie Chamness
Assistant Director
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
Medical University of South Carolina
PO Box 250808
Charleston, SC  29425

Ph (843) 792-3832