Re: Roles on research projects Ware, Jeanne 29 Aug 2005 11:24 EST

That is true ... if your institution is going to "hire" that person on
your payroll.  If you are going to pay the person through a subaward or
subcontract, you cannot have them listed on lines A and B (this is NSF
related).

See http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/gpg/nsf04_23/2.jsp#IIC2gi and click on the
footnote (20) to see:

"Only salaries and wages for employees of the proposing organization
should be identified on Lines A and B of the proposal budget.
Consultants and subawardee salaries and wages should be budgeted on
Lines G. 3 and G.5 of the proposal budget, respectively."

Then of course, with a Co-PI, they usually have their own budget (they
need supplies and travel, etc.) so you have to have a budget for them
and let's not forget indirect...

We may be a small institution, but I would not allow for another PI to
be placed on line A and B unless they worked for us.

Thank you!

Jeanne V Ware
Director, Research Programs and Services
New College of Florida
http://www.ncf.edu/orps/

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you
please. -Mark Twain

Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their
common sense. -Gertrude Stein