Re: Roles on research projects Terri Hall 27 Aug 2005 07:23 EST

Whoa, Charlie...guess I need to clarify.
NOT suggesting we 'outlaw' using "Statistician" or "Data Analyst"
to describe roles in research projects. These descriptions can be
immensely helpful in the narrative and budget but are way too
specific for what I was seeking.  I'm going for overall big-picture roles
whether stated within proposal or not...so that everyone is clear on
who can spend and who can't more or less.

I was looking for a list (if there is one) that provided general descriptions
of possible roles...and the list would  be something like this:
PI - directs project, responsible for overall outcome, main fiscal
responsibility, from our institution only
Co-PI - specific duties on project, may have fiscal responsibility if allowed by
PI re:
 record-keeping, and may have some spending ability, from our institution
only
Senior/Other Personnel - duties on project, no fiscal responsibility and cannot
spend
 without permisison of PI (or Co-PI when allowed), can be from other
institutions or organizations/industry
Grad student - directed by others on project, some duties, no spending ability,
from our institution only
Collaborator: develops and spends own budget, works with PI to determine duties
in joint effort, receives own award, can be from other institutions or
organizations/industry
Subcontract/Subawardeee: develops statement of work with PI, creates own budget
but is paid by PI institution for work - is part of PI's award - can spend only
amount provided by PI from sponsor, can be from other institutions or
organizations/industry
etc.

These descriptions are just off the top of my head and certainly unofficial, but
I hope it clarifies things.

The Statistician or Data Analyst would fall in the Senior/Other Personnel
category most likely...which could tell everyone he/she has no spending ability
on this project .. and again SHOULD be listed as Statistician, etc on proposal.

Does that make more sense?  This stems from a PI request to include someone from
another institution on a proposal, but this 'someone' didn't want to have to run
it through his institution. The question was...if he's not a subaward, what role
can he play to achieve that?  This original question got us thinking then about
the new initiative to list multiple PI's and what that will do to monitoring
expenditures on the projects.

Thanks to all for previous responses...and I welcome more in this discussion.
Terri

--
Terri Hall
Associate Director of Sponsored Programs (eRA)

Quoting xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu: