Re: Direct Awards to Researchers Barbara Gray 23 Aug 2005 10:22 EST
Chris,
I handled one National Geographic award at my previous institution.
Because he planned to spend the award on a variety of things (part-time
workers, travel, supplies, etc.), the PI actually wanted the institution
to set up a grant account to help him manage and keep track of the
funds.  He just signed the check over and we opened the account and
treated it like all others.  NG was fine with that.  But I think it's
important that the PI have the choice when the check is made out to the
individual researcher.
Barbara

Chris Cox wrote:

> I am interested in learning if, or how, your institution handles
> awards that are made directly to a researcher, e.g. National
> Geographic, etc.  Have you been successful in getting any such sponsor
> to reissue the award to your institution?  Thanks in advance for your
> help.

Barbara H. Gray
Director of Sponsored Research
Desert Research Institute