Re: Bad debt collection Robert Miller 22 Aug 2005 14:34 EST

.....This is the sort of thing issue I have been attempting to insert
into our consultant contracts - liquidated damage clauses:

When the parties to a contract agree to the payment of a certain sum
as a fixed and agreed upon satisfaction for not doing certain things
particularly mentioned in the agreement.

The amount of money specified in a contract to be awarded in the event
that the agreement is violated. The fixed amount which a party to an
agreement promises to pay to the other, in case he shall not fulfill
some primary or principal engagement into which he has entered by the
same agreement.

Do any universities have policies and procedures related to bad debt
collection on sponsored projects that they will share?  I am ok with
cruising websites if you just want to reference that.  Also, do you
make
a distinction between bad debt on the part of a sponsor and "default"
(i.e. delinquent reports, incomplete SOW) of your investigators?  Do
you
perform any kind of risk assessment before entering into a sponsored
agreement with a private company?  Who is responsible for covering the
bills when a company declares bankruptcy?

Just a few questions for consideration.  I have a meeting with our
Dean's to discuss later this week and they often want to know how
other
universities handle the same problem.  Thanks in advance for any
information you can provide.

Martha M. Taylor
Assistant Vice President for Research
310 Samford Hall
Auburn University, Alabama 36849-5131
334-844-4438
334-844-5953 (fax)
xxxxxx@auburn.edu
http://www.auburn.edu/research/vpr/contracts

Robert Gregory Miller
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
Div. of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Molecular Science
Administrative Director/Research Administrator
xxxxxx@cdrewu.edu
Office: 323.563.5961
Fax: 323.563.5966

Notice of Confidentiality

This message contains information that may be confidential or
privileged.

It is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee or any person
entitled to receive it.  If you received this message in error,
please inform the author as soon as possible, do not disclose its
contents and delete it from your system

 From:  Martha Taylor <xxxxxx@AUBURN.EDU>