Re: Residual Funds Susan A. Brown 22 Aug 2005 11:47 EST

The Medical University of South Carolina reviews this on a case by case
basis.  If the PIs Department Chair will allow them to transfer
unrestricted funds, we allow it.  In one situation where a division
director transferred, their unrestricted residual funds were used to
cover a division deficit.  They were allowed to transfer the
difference.  We try to maintain a good relationship for possible future
collaborations.
Thanks,
Susan Brown
MUSC

Kim Dunbrook-Babbie wrote:

>Does anyone allow PI's to take residual funds with them when they leave
>a research or medical institution.  We do not allow this practice but
>many PI's have put up a fight and stated other institutions allow the
>transfer.  From what I have read of other institution's policies it
>appears this is not the case but I was hoping to get some feedback from
>everyone on the list.
>
>Thank you
>
>Kimberly Babbie
>518-262-5496
>Albany Medical Center

>--

Susan A. Brown, C.R.A.
Grants & Contracts Administrator
Medical University of South Carolina
Research & Sponsored Programs
19 Hagood Ave., Suite 606 (express)
P.O. Box 250808 (U.S. Postal)
Charleston, SC  29425-0808 (for express mail, drop +4 zip)
PH:  843-792-2040
FX:  843-792-6447