Re: CRA/DA Comparison Sandra Nordahl 15 Aug 2005 15:24 EST

I concur with Jennifer...thanks Jennifer for adding to my message!

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Jennifer Shambrook
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 12:33 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] CRA/DA Comparison

I agree with Sandra's comments.  The CRA is a more advanced and covers a
broader range of topics than the DA program.

I would like to say, you don't have to do an "either/or" with these two
programs, however.  The SRA meetings, whether a local chapter, sectional
or international meeting, can enable your staff to engage in the DA
program AND obtain trianing for eventual CRA credentials.  The DA
program could be a good stepping stone program for eventual CRA
certification.

Jennifer Morgan Shambrook, MHA

Associate Chair for Research Administration Co-Director Division of
Public Psychiatry Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science
Medical University of South Carolina
67 President Street, Suite 504
Charleston, South Carolina  29425

voice:  843-792-0191
fax:  843-792-0048
email:  xxxxxx@musc.edu

>>> xxxxxx@PHI.ORG 08/15/05 02:52PM >>>
Our institution is considering participating in a certification type
program for our pre-award department management and staff.  Based on a
search of SRA sources, there seem to be two programs available:  the
Research Administrators Certification Council offers the Certified
Research Administrator (CRA) and the Society of Research Administrators
offers the Departmental Administrator (DA).  The following information
is based on gleanings from the web as well as personal experience at an
SRA conference.

-  The CRA is independent study (with possibly a study session).
There is one level of study on a specified body of knowledge.
Attainment of the credential is based on a written exam that one either
passes or fails.
The focus of study is on activities associated with research
administration..
The intended participant is an individual involved in the conduct of
research administration, both pre- and post-award.
The cost is $285 for the exam.  I understand that organized study
sessions may be available for extra money.

-  The DA is series of courses on that are offered in conjunction with
SRA annual conferences.
The series consists of DA 101, 201, and 301 with increasing levels of
complexity.
One obtains the certificate by attending the specified seminars and then
completing and submitting the course evaluation.  Once all courses for a
level have been completed, the certificate is issued.
The focus of study is on activities associated with the management of
research administration as well as those involved in the conduct of
research administration.
The intended participant is involved in both aspects of research
administration - conduct and management.
The cost is included in the conference registration.  If one needed to
attend more than one conference to complete the coursework, then the
cost would increase.

We're seeking information to help in our evaluation.  Is this summary
accurate? If not, what's missing?  Are there other courses and, if so,
who offers them and what do they cover?  What are other points that you
consider significant?  What are the advantages and disadvantages of each
as you see them?  Does your organization feel that those who have
completed either certification deserve additional compensation?  If any
of you are willing to share your experiences or thoughts we would
appreciate it.  Please feel free to respond to me outside of the
listserve if that's easier.

Judith Lubina
Manager, Bid & Proposal
Public Health Institute