Re: RESEARCH ASSISTANTS/ASSOCIATES AS NON EXEMPT EMPLOYEES Mitchell Maltenfort 11 Aug 2005 16:10 EST

OK, I was lurking on this one until I was sure you meant research
assistants in the sense I'm used to: grad students and post-docs.

I used to be one of each, although obviously not at the same time.

Here's the issues from that perspective:

1) A lot of them would rather work mid-day to late at night.

2) When reading papers or writing manuscripts,  many find working at
home is quieter than working at the lab.

3) A lot of them figure that as long as the work gets done in a timely
manner, exact hours don't matter.

It seems to me the post painless way of handling this is to ask people
to account for their work hours, wherever and whenever they're spent.
I don't know exactly how your institution operates, but I would think
it would be enough to just have 40 work hours a week accounted for.

--
I can answer any question.
"I don't know" is an answer.