Re: Post Award Periodic Financial Reports Herbert B. Chermside 07 Aug 2005 11:18 EST

I do not have an example, but MANY years ago (late 70's?) I did the following:
Took a real fiscal report from a real, somewhat complex, project (with PI's
OK!) (actually two separate reports, as that is what the system spit out!);
Crossed out actual PI name and account number;
Put a number in a circle at each point on the report where it was not
completely obvious what was there;
Listed the numbers below and explained what was there in PI language,
rather than accountantise (e.g., column heads translated into "original
budget", Revised budget", "spent in previous months", "spent this month",
"obligated", "balance available");
Added common sense notations (e.g., "obligated" is the amount of the P.O.;
your actual cost may vary slightly due to shipping, etc., but if difference
is more than 10%, check out the reason").

As these reports came out on wide paper, I reduced the whole thing on the
copier to 8.5X11.  Then I sent it to all of MY PI's.  By the end of the
week I was swamped with requests from lots of other PI's.

This helped many of my PI's (and presumably others!) keep better track of
their finances.  Clearly there were still 10% who didn't care, or didn't
spend any effort to manage their projects, even after the exercise in
translation!

Interesting side note -- my superior, an accountant, (we reported to Fiscal
VP) thought the entire exercise was a waste of time.  But the Dean for
Research thought it excellent help for PI's, and included it in the
handbook for PI's he brought out a few months later.

To deal with the same problem at a previous institution, I persuaded the
powers that be to change  the column headings on some fiscal reports to
things the PI can understand.

As every institution seems to have different reports, I suggest that an
institution-specific "translation" be made available to all PI's.  Given
modern technology, I'd suggest posting on your internet site.  An informal
guide for PI's should be there, anyway.

Chuck

At 06:05 PM 7/28/2005, you wrote:
>The issue that I am faced with is the disconnect between my finance
>departments' account managers and the PIs. It seems that the PIs are
>confused by the financial reports that the account managers produce.
>
>Can any of you send me an example of a financial report
>(quarterly/monthly) that is provided to the PI?
>
>Thanks...
>
>Robert Gregory Miller
>Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
>Div. of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Molecular Science
>Administrative Director/Research Administrator
>xxxxxx@cdrewu.edu
>Office: 323.563.5961
>Fax: 323.563.5966
>

>Notice of Confidentiality
>
>This message contains information that may be confidential or
>privileged.
>
>It is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee or any person
>entitled to receive it.  If you received this message in error,
>please inform the author as soon as possible, do not disclose its
>contents and delete it from your system

Herbert "Chuck" Chermside, CRA
Director Emeritus, VCU Sponsored Programs
Executive Director, Research Administrators Certification Council
1915 Robindale Rd.
Richmond, VA 23235-3931
804-320-5502
xxxxxx@verizon.net