Re: Contracts for Sample Analyses Rhodes, Kris 20 Jul 2005 09:55 EST
Hi Donna,

The sample testing sounds like it could be unrelated business income.  I
think the safer approach would be to set up the testing as a
service/recharge center.

Where did the equipment used in the analyses come from? Fed funds?
Federally funded equipment also makes a difference.  Per OMB A-110 "The
recipient shall not use equipment acquired with Federal funds to provide
services to non-Federal outside organizations for a fee that is less
than private companies charge for equivalent services, unless
specifically authorized by Federal statute, for as long as the Federal
Government retains an interest in the equipment."

I've attached a position paper I prepared on UBIT.  I would consistently
avoid accepting publication restrictions - this is typically a drop dead
deal breaker for most organizations.  While not an ITAR or EAR expert,
publications restrictions can also have implications in this area as
well.

Hope this helps.

Kris