Re: Budgeting for Radiation Waste Disposal Doyle-Wandell, Greg 15 Jul 2005 15:06 EST

Brian

My experience and perspective is that you should be able charge
radiation waste disposal as a direct charge.  However, you will have to
explain it again, and again and again to funders, auditors, and every
other individual who has seen it as an indirect cost.  As a result, you
might as well confirm this approach with your contracting officer and/or
your auditor before you get too far out on a limb

It may be perfectly appropriate for a large medical research institution
to charge radiation waste disposal as an indirect cost, but for Eastern
Michigan University treating it as a direct cost may be the correct
approach. Neither is right or wrong.  The determination of whether it is
direct or indirect is dependent upon your cost structure, business
practices and other factors, and may not correspond to what other
institutions are doing.

Beyond allowable, reasonable and allocable, you have already given
yourself the justification to charge it as a direct cost:  "the
individual costs can easily be isolated and allocated to individual
grant projects."  As long as you have an auditable basis to charge a
particular grant, and it meets the allowable and reasonable tests, you
should be fine.

Greg

Greg Doyle-Wandell
Director of Sponsored Programs