Re: Constitution Day Plotkin, Pamela T. 29 Jun 2005 13:29 EST

Linda,

If you read further on in the Notice you'll see that section 111 of
Public Law 108-447 requires all educational institutions that receive
federal funds (i.e. not just ED funding) are to comply with the
Congressional initiative.

Pam

Pamela Plotkin, Ph.D.
Director of Sponsored Programs
East Tennessee State University
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
Box 70565
Johnson City, TN 37614-1707
phone: 423-439-6000
fax: 423-439-6050
email: xxxxxx@mail.etsu.edu
http://www.etsu.edu/research

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Linda Campbell
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 2:17 PM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Constitution Day

A quick question.

The Federal Register language states that "educational institutions
receiving Federal funds from the U.S. Department of Education . . . ."
The language is very broad and doesn't specify any particular type of
Dept. of Ed. funds.

In addition to grants/contracts/cooperative agreements, etc. with which
our offices are involved, the Dept. of Ed. also provides student
financial aid.  Am I interpreting the language too broadly in assuming
that financial aid is included?    If it isn't, then I overstated the
scope of this requirement when I met with the Assoc. Vice Provost.

We receive grants from the Dept. of Ed., so we need to comply in any
case.  I'm just wondering whether or not I've gone a bit overboard in my
interpretation of the language.

Linda

Linda Campbell
Director of Sponsored Projects
Santa Clara University
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA  95053-0250
phone: 408.554.4408
fax: 408.554.2389
email: xxxxxx@scu.edu

This message scanned for viruses and SPAM by GWGuardian at SCU (MGW1)