Re: Terrorism language Mitchell Maltenfort 27 May 2005 10:45 EST

One very naive thought:

A "reasonable step" might be to search for the name of an organization
and its officets on www.google.com and news.google.com, among other
engines. That's very little trouble, and I speak from experience.

I was once helping out my local library on a project identifying
African-American philanthropists to honor for Back History month.
Doing a news.google.com search on one possibility turned up that he'd
been involved in Enron, so we had to consider him problematic.

Another volunteer effort I'm involved in is editing articles for the
online Journal fo Young Investigators (www.jyi.org).  One of the
students participating submitted a research article on stress in lab
animals, research conducted by a group I hadn't heard of.  Another
Google check made it clear this was an animal rights group with an
agenda.

Both times, it was less than five minutes' work to check out the names.

On 5/27/05, Ginavan, Michelle Lynn <xxxxxx@mail.ku.edu> wrote:
> We are receiving funding being managed and administered by the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health - funding provided by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
>
> The FNIH terms and conditions contains the following language:
>                         "Grantee certifies that the Grantee complies with the laws of the country or countries in which it is registered and/or operates; that all information and documentation provided for its Grant application is complete and accurate to the best of its knowledge; that the Grantee takes reasonable steps to ensure that Grant funds are not ultimately distributed to terrorists organizations or for violent purposes; and the Grantee takes reasonable steps to ensure that staff, board, Subgrantees and other volunteers have no dealings whatsoever with known terrorists or terrorist organizations."
> Has anyone had experience with this language or with this agency?  What are "reasonable steps" how do we know about staff, board, and volunteers dealings?  Thanks for your thoughts!

I can answer any question.
"I don't know" is an answer.
"I don't know yet" is a better answer.