Re: Grants.gov - latest glitches Shapiro, Steve 18 May 2005 10:42 EST

From John Etcheverry, Grants.gov Deputy Program Manager

The most useful vehicle for anyone with concerns regarding Grants.gov is
to send them via email to xxxxxx@grants.gov.

Steve Shapiro
University of Oregon

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG] On
Behalf Of Glenn Krell
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 7:38 AM
To: xxxxxx@HRINET.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Grants.gov - latest glitches

Hi resadmr's,
A few weeks ago I sent a post to this serv, putting forth the idea that
a few hundred emails to the appropriate decision makers might help them
realize they have a major problem on their hands.

A few folks thoughtfully criticized this idea off the serv, saying it
was premature and counterproductive. I respect their point of view.
Nevertheless, I think that from a public administration point of view
that grants.gov is clearly a snafu. Rollout of a major, nationwide
project such as grants.gov is only supposed to be done after thorough
testing and feedback. A few hundred emails to the right people might
serve as the ammo they need, to help them get the funding to make the
fixes needed.

I would still like to see some folks list the email addresses of some of
the key decision makers on this rollout so we can send them
*constructive
feedback* and let them know that they need to speak up to *their*
higher-ups and get the funds to make the necessary improvements.

As for politics, it cannot be avoided; it may be that some institutions
with lobbyists end up asking their congressional reps to look into this
and help get it fixed. After all, at the end of the day you can go look
in the mirror in case you are interested in finding out who is footing
the bill. Good luck everyone!

=======================
Glenn Krell MPA, CRA
Director, Research Compliance
 and Proposal Development
Illinois Institute of Technology
3300 South Federal Street, M/B 301
Chicago, Illinois 60616
312-567-7141 (voice)
312-567-7517 (fax)
http://www.grad.iit.edu/research/compliance.html
http://www.grad.iit.edu/research/opd.html
Did you know? A searchable database of IIT research expertise can be
found
at:
http://gradweb.iit.edu/gradresearch/searchengine.htm