Re: Grants.gov instructions Mary Watson 17 May 2005 08:14 EST

My one suggestion is that you must start early to get registered!  We had to
scramble to assist a PI (not at our institution) but, cooperating with our
institution, in getting a submission made.  It finally ended up he rewrote a
bit and made our school the submitter and the fiscal signatory!  It takes at
least a week, but possibly more, to get all the registering and the proper
numbers in place with grants.gov!

Also, our financial office did the initial application for the correct
classification, codes, etc., which makes sense when you read the fine print
but then we had a bit of a dust-up in getting the MPIN from them - and you
must have that before you can do the actual first time submission.  It all
worked out in a flurry of intensity, but it was, to say the least, very
tense for about 2 hours.  Add to that the interesting fact that our entire
system had failed and until 3 pm of the day we needed to submit we had NO
internet access at all.  I was getting ready to pack up, go home, and submit
from there!  All part of the joy of electronic submissions.

That said, the actual process of getting the material into readiness for
submission was really very straightforward and much simpler than e-grants,
for example.  So, there is a bright side.

Mary H. Watson, Ph.D.
Director
Grants and Contracts
Valdosta State University