Re: Internal Grant Survey Paplauskas,Leonard 26 Mar 2005 07:35 EST

For many years the UCONN Health Center had a number of internal grant programs aimed at supporting various contingencies related to the support of biomedical research.  We had, at one time or another:

*	small grant program - <$10,000, to support short-term data collection projects, aimed at a specific RFA/RFP
*	faculty research grant program - $50,000/yr, to support new areas of research
*	faculty development grant program - $50,000/yr for 2 yrs, to support new, junior faculty who did not have other sources of start-up support
*	equipment grants program - variable
*	emergency grants program - $50,000*/yr for 2 yrs, to support projects experiencing extramural funding hiatus

*all the figures represent the maximum the programs supported at one point in their history, and not necessarily what then support currently.

Due to financial pressures, we have been forced to carefully evaluate these programs and found that, in general, the non-emergency grant programs (small grants, faculty research grants, faculty development) were not particularly effective in accomplishing their goals, i.e., securing extramural funding for specific projects.  The success rates (measured as securing extramural funding in the specific area, or related area of research, within 3 years of internal funding) for these programs were typically less than 20%, and the amount of extramural funding related to the "successful" internal grants was significantly less than the amount invested annually in these programs.

Our emergency grant program's success rate, on the other hand, is greater than 50% (>50% of the grantees successfully restored extramural funding within 3 years), and experienced returns of 200 -300% of the amount invested annually in the program.

Consequently, we have discontinued all but the emergency grants program.

We did look at other measures of success, such as publications, students graduated, etc., but in the end, the criteria which held the most weight were how much money was invested, what was the financial ROI on that investment, and what %-age of grantees successfully achieved extramural support.

Tough times!

Leonard P. Paplauskas
Associate Vice President for Research Administration
University of Connecticut Health Center