Re: Additional Compensation and Effort Reporting Ruth Tallman 21 Mar 2005 17:17 EST

Julie,

Very good questions.  This is such a painful subject.  I'll insert my

Laurie Chamness wrote:

> My current institution handles certain additional compensation and
> effort reporting issues differently from my previous institution. I'm
> curious what the general practice is among you regarding these issues.
>
> Does your institution allow PIs to receive additional compensation
> (dual employment) on a grant as long as the conditions regarding
> "unusual cases" in A-21, J10d(1) are met? Why or why not?

NO.  Any additional compensation on a grant must be approved at the time
of the proposal.  In my experience, the only time it should be approved
is if it is not research.

> Can additional compensation be at a rate greater than the regular rate
> of pay? In other words, does your institution interpret the first part
> of A-21, J10d(1):  "Charges for work performed on sponsored agreements
> during all or any portion of such period are allowable at the base
> salary rate. In no event will charges to sponsored agreements,
> irrespective of the basis of computation, exceed the proportionate
> share of the base salary for that period," such that it applies only
> to basic compensation, NOT to additional compensation?

NO.  If the work is conducted during the academic year, the rate of
compensation should not exceed the base salary rate.  If it is not
research and not done at the home institution, a consulting rate could
be used.  I would never approve this on a federal grant, though.

> Does your institution include additional compensation on the PI's Time
> and Effort report, or does your institution treat additional
> compensation as "incidental work" [according to A-21, J10a and
> J10c(1)(b)] and exclude it from the T&E report?

We do not include it on the time and effort report.

> Laurie

Ruth Tallman
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
Lehigh University
526 Brodhead Avenue
Bethlehem, PA  18015
Phone:   (610)758-3024